Parts Of The Braces
- Archwire: wire used as a source of force to direct teeth to move in desired directions.
- Headgear tube: a cylindrical tube where the headgear is attached, if prescribed.
- Ball hook: used for attachment of elastics.
- Elastic ligature: color or clear elastic tie used to secure the archwire to the bracket.
- Steel ligature: small steel wire tied to the bracket to secure the archwire to the bracket.
- Coil spring: small spring placed around arch wire to either maintain or increase the space between teeth.
- Elastic: rubber band used to move teeth in the prescribed direction.
- Gingiva: soft tissue around and between the teeth.
- Elastic hook: hook soldered to band to serve as a place to hook your elastics to the molar teeth.
Invisalign (clear aligners)
The Invisalign System is a series of clear overlay templates that have been generated by computer simulation to gradually move the teeth. Drs. Savage, Sabol & Visser are Invisalign Certified Orthodontists and have been Premier Providers since 2000.
Ceramic braces are a translucent tooth colored (clear) material. They are most popular with the adult patients. They are difficult to see on the teeth unless you are very close to the patient.
Metal braces are the most common type of braces. They are made of high grade stainless steel. Today’s braces are much smaller and more comfortable. Patients enjoy changing colors at each visit.
Some minor orthodontic problems can be corrected with retainers. Retainers can be used on the upper and/or lower teeth.