The cost of braces is one of the most common reasons why people avoid orthodontic treatment. If they decide to get treatment, they chose to look for the cheapest place to get braces. Unfortunately, there are many downsides to this approach. While it may seem like you are saving money, you may pay more in the future. Let’s look at the cost of braces, what’s included, and ways to make braces more affordable.
How Much Do Braces Cost?
The average cost of braces depends on the style that you choose and if you have dental insurance for orthodontic treatment.
- Traditional Metal Braces: $3,500 to $7,500 without insurance
- Ceramic Braces: $4,000 to $8,500 without insurance
- Lingual Braces: $5,000 to $10,000 without insurance
- Aligners: $3,000 to $8,000 without insurance
What Affects the Cost of Braces?
There are several factors that affect the cost of braces.
- Age: Braces tend to be less expensive for children than adults
- Location: Where you have treatment is a factor for the cost of braces
- Type of Braces: Upgrades, such as ceramic braces and aligners, tend to be more expensive
- Treatment Length: Longer treatment timelines cost more than short treatment timelines
- Expertise: The expertise of your orthodontist affects cost, and this is not a place to try to save money
- Severity: Cost is higher for more intensive treatment plans, such as severe overbites and other issues
What’s Included in the Cost of Braces?
When you pay for braces, the cost includes almost every aspect of treatment. When you are shopping for the cheapest place to get braces, make sure that the cost includes more than just the braces. A reputable orthodontist may include some of the following in the total cost of braces:
- Orthodontist and staff time to install and adjust the braces
- Facility costs
- Follow-up appointments for routine adjustments
- Additional orthodontic appliances and supplies, such as headgear and elastics
- Routine examinations and x-rays
- Cost of retainers and associated appointments after the completion of your treatment
What Isn’t Included in the Cost of Braces?
When you look for the cheapest place to get braces, ask yourself what isn’t included to get the price so low. There are some standard costs that may not be included in the initial quote, such as emergency repairs. What you want to avoid is having a cheap upfront cost, only to find out later that the cost doesn’t include important aspects of orthodontic treatment. Many places that offer cheap braces don’t include the cost of follow-up appointments, or you may not see an orthodontist at all. You may have to pay for exams, x-rays, supplies, and other orthodontic appliances. You may also have to sacrifice good customer service and having someone available to answer your questions.
Should I Look for the Cheapest Place to Get Braces?
All things considered, looking for the cheapest place to get braces may not be the best approach. There may be costs that aren’t included in the upfront quote. You may receive a standardized treatment plan rather than the individual treatment plan that you need. As a result, you may need additional orthodontic treatment in the future. Instead, look for a reputable, qualified, experienced orthodontist who offers affordable ways to pay for the braces.
Options to Help You Afford Braces
Dr. Savage, Dr. Sabol, and Dr. Visser understand that the cost of braces can be a barrier for many families, even with insurance. Because we want you to receive the high-quality orthodontic care that you deserve, we offer several options to help you afford braces. Click here to check on our financing options. Our knowledgeable staff can help you determine what portion of the cost is covered by insurances. Another recommendation is to avoid any optional upgrades, such as ceramic or colored braces. We offer specials and promotions that may reduce the cost. In addition to offering interest free in house financing, we also offer a discount to patients who pay upfront. Using a dental credit account means that you don’t have to pay the entire amount upfront, but you can make affordable monthly payments. Lastly, taking care of your braces ensures that you can minimize unexpected expenses for repairs and replacing appliances.
Get the Orthodontic Treatment You Deserve
Contact us today to schedule a complementary examination with Dr. Savage, Dr. Sabol, or Dr. Visser. We will explain your treatment options and ways that you can make the quality orthodontic care you deserve more affordable.