Whether you’ve yet to get any orthodontic work, currently have braces, or have already gotten yours off, dental hygiene is vital to keeping your smile bright and your teeth healthy. There are many tips and tricks floating around but only a few are tried, tested, and recommended by dentists and orthodontists everywhere:
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste: Anyone would be remiss if they forgot about these oral hygiene staples. Two minutes per brushing, 2-3 times a day will be the easiest and most effective method in keeping your teeth and braces Brush from the root of your tooth to the edge and don’t be too rough as you don’t want to cause any unnecessary damage to your appliances.
- Floss: The understated hero of dental hygiene, floss is incredibly important for keeping your teeth clean, especially when you have braces. Sometimes the only way to get in between your teeth and underneath brackets and wires is by flossing.
- Interproximal Brush: The toothbrush’s younger sibling, the interproximal brush has been helping people of all ages with cleaning their braces for decades now. These little brushes can be invaluable alongside floss in getting in between your teeth and your braces.
- Denture Cleaner: Particularly useful when you’re using aligners like Invisalign®, denture cleaner can be a super useful tool in keeping your aligners fresh and clean. Denture cleaner usually comes in the form of tabs that dissolve in water. The cleaning solution helps get rid of bacteria left from food and plaque. Along with a light scrub from your toothbrush, denture cleaner will ensure to keep your aligners fresh.
- Hand Mirror: They’re used by your dentist and orthodontist for a reason. Small hand mirrors can be invaluable for helping to keep your braces and aligners clean on-the-go when conventional mirrors may not be available.
Contact Us Today
If you have any questions about oral hygiene, feel free to contact Drs. Savage, Sabol, and Visser to learn more. Scheduling a consolation is always free, and with four convenient locations around Virginia Beach and one in Onley on Virginia’s eastern shore, it’s never been easier to get started on your journey to an amazing smile today.